FBC Blandy Experimental Farm – Saturday, January 11th, 2020

Our first club outing for 2020 is Saturday, January 11th to Blandy Experimental Farm, with an opportunity to look for Red-headed Woodpeckers at Sky Meadows State Park and Short-eared Owl’s at dusk.

It’s about a 1.5 hour drive from Fredericksburg to Blandy, so we’ll plan to car pool and depart from the route 17 commuter lot at 7:30am. For those wishing to drive direct, meet us in the Blandy parking lot at 9:00am.  Please let me know via my personal email sally.knigh60@gmail.com ahead of time, if you plan to participate and, if you wish to car pool. I will need to let the restaurant know how many will be coming.

After birding Blandy, we will have lunch at the Lone Oak Tavern, in nearby Boyce.  Depending on time, we will then stop in at Sky Meadows State Park and look for Red-headed Woodpeckers before driving the short distance to Stone Bridge and wait for dusk in the hopes of seeing Short-eared Owls.

Admission to Blandy is free, however donations to the Foundation of the State Arboretum are always welcome.  There is a $5 entrance fee for Sky Meadows State Park.